The Annual Brand Plan Process – Three Distinct Touch Points of Planning
July 28, 2015
The Annual Brand Plan is the roadmap that guides all strategic and executional activity on the Brand during the upcoming fiscal year. To be effective, the Brand Plan must clearly identify who the target audience is to focus on, what is to occur during key drive periods throughout the year, and why the activity is to take place.
Touch Point 1. Situation Analysis & Key Issues
- Explore the category dynamics and our brand’s current competitive position.
- Determine the brand’s health and the marketing challenges it faces going forward.
- Identify the Key Inhibitors that may impede the brand’s ability to develop a sustainable competitive market position.
- Identify the Key Issues that must be successfully managed to win within the category
Touch Point 2. Objectives & Strategies
- How to address the Key Issues reviewed with management in Touch Point #1:
- Purpose is to focus resources on the Key Drivers of performance which will differentiate the brand from other competitive offerings and deliver the FY’s Financial Objectives
- Objectives: Quantify What the brand must deliver financially to the organization during the upcoming fiscal year.
- Strategies: Explain How the Objectives will be achieved and summarizes the Key Activities that must be performed. I.e.
- Reinforce Equity
- Product Innovation
- Increase Consumption and/or Awareness
- Expand Availability, etc.
Touch Point 3. The Execution Plan
- Defines the best mix of Marketing Tactics & Key Measures to be tracked to drive the desired behavior changes among the target consumer
- Key Outcome is to develop an Integrated Communication Plan where all stakeholders understand their roles and responsibilities.
- Key elements of the Integrated Communication Plan include:
- Consumer Engagement
- Mass Media
- Retail & Promotion
- Consumer & Trade, Shopper Marketing, and Packaging
- New Products
To learn more about Ennis Associates, Inc. and the solutions we offer, click here or contact us directly at 800-914-4194.